MFA in Sculpture · Tyler School of Art, Temple University · Philadelphia, PA
Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture · Skowhegan, ME
BFA with emphasis in Sculpture · NYSCC at Alfred University · Alfred, NY
Selected Solo Exhibitions / Film Screenings & Concerts
• On Poppies · a commissioned two-channel video installation in the Panopticon Gallery as part of the Outcasting: Fourth Wall Film Festival, Cardiff, UK. · October 29th – November 1st, curated by Michael Cousin.
• Rain or Shine · durational performance / installation in collaboration with choreographer Yurie Umamoto as part of the Month of Performance Art Berlin · The Agora Collective · Berlin, Germany · May 29th.
• Atlas Performing Arts, Washington, D.C., Gather in concert with janus trio as part of an evening-long performance, April.
• A Circus of One · premier at the Curtis R. Priem Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center (EMPAC)· Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI ) · Troy, NY · November 5th.
• Framed Events · Lamar Dodd School of Art · The University of Georgia · Athens, GA · September.
• Clear / Fill / Reveal in Bijou Theater · Artisphere · Arlington, VA · curated by Ryan Holladay, September.
• Moving Images · Weston Art Gallery · Cincinnati, OH · multiple installations · June.
• Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH, Gather / Shed / Lift with janus in concert, April.
• Purchase Contemporary Ensemble, Purchase College, Purchase, NY, Lift in concert, Dec.
• Galapagos Art Space, Brooklyn, NY, Screening of Lift as a prelude to janus concert, Feb.
• National Flute Convention, NY, NY, Lift with janus in concert, August
• Monkeytown, Brooklyn, NY, Gather / Shed / Lift with janus in concert, June
• Aspen Music Festival and School, Gather / Shed / Lift with janus in concert, February
• Gather / Shed / Lift film trilogy in collaboration with composer Barbara White. Debut at Princeton University, Princeton, NJ. Films performed in concert by janus, October.
• Lift, Debut at Tsai Performance Center at Boston University, Boston, MA
Film commission and collaboration with composer Barbara White and Boston Musica Viva, October.
• Clear / Fill / Reveal · CEPA Gallery · Buffalo, NY · Installation of Super 8 mm Films
• Beyond No · The Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University
· Cambridge, MA · Installation and performance
• Maintenance · CSPS Gallery · Cedar Rapids, IA · Installation / performance with poetry
by Elisa Graff
• The Map is Not the Territory · Forum for Contemporary Art · St. Louis, MO · Installations
• Exercise in Perception, Capacity, and Projection · Denison University Gallery · Granville, OH · Installation and performance
• Visible Breath, An Exercise in Suspended Respiration · Brookside Gardens, MD · Impermanent Outdoor Sculpture
Selected Group Exhibitions
• Curitiba International Biennial · Songs for My Sisters · durational performance · Curitiba, Brazil, August 21st. Curated by Fernando Ribeiro.
• After the Moment: Reflections on Robert Mapplethorpe · Contemporary Arts Center (CAC) · Cincinnati, OH.
• Simplicity · durational performance, · The Nordic Artists' Centre Dale | Nordisk Kunstnarsenter Dale · Dale, Norway, August.
• Load & Effort · durational performance in collaboration with visual artist Peter Reese as part of Rapid Pulse International Performance Art Festival · Defibrillator Performance Art Gallery · Chicago, IL · June 12th.
• Somewhere · part of Ten Tiny Performances · The Garden Theater · Columbus, OH · January 24th and 25th. Curated by Paige Phillips.
• Hephaestos Challenged: 7 Women Sculptors · The Galleries at Cleveland State University · Cleveland, OH. Curated by Robert Thurmer
• SURRENDER (New York) · durational performance in collaboration with visual artist Charlotte Schulz as part of SkowheganPERFORMS · Socrates Sculpture Park · Queens, NY · September 28th.
• Made In Mourning: Contemporary Memorial and Reliquary · The Sculpture Center · Cleveland, OH. Curated by Nicholas Fenell.
• Outcasting: Fourth Wall Festival, Cardiff, UK. A Circus of One was screened in this Film and New Media festival, October.
• united states: Artist’s Projects · The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum, Ridgefield, CT ·
curated by Richard Klein and Mónica Ramírez-Montagut
• 2012 Hanji Project / New York: Hanji Metamorphoses, The Highline Loft, New York, NY · curated by Yu Yeon Kim
• Failure: Aspect-EZ Video Screening and DVD Publication · MIT List Center for Visual Arts, Boston, MA., April.
• The Mythical State of Jefferson, Schneider Museum of Art, Southern Oregon University, Ashland, OR · curated by Michael Crane
• Rehearse, Rewind, Repeat: Photography, Video and Performance · Seigfred Gallery, Ohio University, Athens, OH · curated by Kelli Connell
• Wild Things · Annmarie Garden: Sculpture Park & Art Center, Solomons, MD
• Inside / Out: Sculpture At Evergreen · The Evergreen House and Estate · Baltimore, MD
· curated by Julie Courtney · Impermanent Outdoor Sited Sculpture
• Meditating America · CoCA (Center of Contemporary Art) · Seattle, WA · curated by Ernesto Pujol · Super 8 mm Film
• AIM 23 · The Bronx Museum of the Arts · Bronx, NY · Super 8 mm Films
1999 - 2000
• Atmospheric Conditions · Spaces · Cleveland, OH · Installation and Performance
• Swing-O-Matic, part of Beginning a New Century, Emerging Artists in Western New York · Burchfield-Penney Art Center · Buffalo, NY · Installation
Grants / Awards / Artist Residencies
• Individual Excellence Award • Interdisciplinary / Performance Art · The Ohio Arts Council · Ohio
• On Poppies · a commissioned two-channel video installation as part of the Outcasting: Fourth Wall Film Festival, Cardiff, UK, curated by Michael Cousin.
• Artist-In-Residence · The Nordic Artists' Centre Dale | Nordisk Kunstnarsenter Dale · Dale, Norway (June and July)
• Arts and Humanities International Travel Grant · In Support of One Action In(forming) Another in Norway · OSU · Columbus, OH
• Collaborative Artist Residency with choreographer Yurie Umamoto as part of the Month of Performance Art Berlin · The Agora Collective · Berlin, Germany
• Arts and Humanities International Travel Grant · In Support of Research in Berlin, Germany · OSU · Columbus, OH
• Arts and Humanities Research Enhancement Grant · In Support of A Circus of One (Act II) and related exhibition · OSU · Columbus, OH
• Arts and Humanities Grant-In-Aid · In Support of Manuscript Preparation for the A Circus of One (Act II) · OSU · Columbus, OH
• Arts and Humanities Grant-In-Aid · In Support of Production Costs associated with A Circus of One (Act II) · OSU · Columbus, OH
• Franklin Furnace Fund 2011-212 · In Support of A Circus of One (Act II) · New York, NY
• Fiscal Sponsorship · A Circus of One (Act II) · New York Foundation for the Arts · New York, NY
• Arts and Humanities Grant-In-Aid · In Support of Gather / Shed / Lift Concert at The Columbus Museum of Art · OSU · Columbus, OH
• Arts and Humanities Grant-In-Aid · In Support of Manuscript Preparation for the Moving Images exhibition at The Weston Art Gallery · OSU · Columbus, OH
• EMPAC DANCE MOViES Commission 2010-2011· EMPAC: Experimental Media & Performing Arts Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute / Supported by the Jaffe Fund for Experimental Media and Performing Arts · in support of A Circus of One · Troy, NY
• Fiscal Sponsorship · A Circus of One · New York Foundation for the Arts · New York, NY
• Arts and Humanities Grant-In-Aid · in support of A Circus of One film production · OSU · Columbus, OH.
2006 - 2007
• Wexner Center for the Arts · Art and Technology · Artist in Residence · Columbus, OH
• Seed Grant · College of the Arts and Humanities · OSU · Columbus, OH
• Level II Faculty Grant · College of the Arts · OSU · Columbus, OH
2005 - 2006
• Level I Faculty Grant · College of the Arts · OSU · Columbus, OH
• Asian Cultural Council · Individual Artist Grant for Travel in Japan · NY, NY
(declined by artist)
2002 - 2003
• Harvestworks · Funded Artist Residency in film, sound, and video · NY, NY
• AIM 23 Fellowship · The Bronx Museum of the Arts · Bronx, NY
• Bunting Fellowship · The Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study · Harvard University · MA
• Summer Research Grant · Alfred University · Alfred, NY
• NEA Fellowship Award in Sculpture · Mid America Arts Alliance · St. Louis, MO
• Skowhegan School of Art · scholarship · Skowhegan, ME
The New York Times: Out of Many Themes, One Topic · by Susan Hodara, September 21.
CityBeat: Moving Pictures · by Matt Morris, June 25 – July 5.
Baltimore City Paper: Garden State · by J. Bowers, July 5.
The Baltimore Examiner: Ever Fresh Evergreen Art · by Marie Gullard, June 10.
The Towson Times: Art On The Side· by Mike Giuliano, May 28.
The Baltimore Sun: Outsider Art · by Glenn McNatt, July 5.
Seattle Post-Intelligencer: Artists Muse on America with Mostly Positive Results · by Regina Hackett, November 11.
The Boston Globe: Musica Viva Goes Back to the Future · by David Weininger, October 10
The Village Voice: Statements and Strategies...· by Karen Rosenberg, August 27.
2001 The Boston Globe: Beyond No Moves Beyond Trauma and Toward Recovery · by Cate McQuaid, March 2, pg. D12
Cleveland Scene: It’s All in Your Head · by Charles Yannopoulos, March 23, pg. 49
The Plain Dealer: Elevating the Everyday · by Dan Tranberg, March 25, Art Section
The Riverfront Times: RFT Annual Report · by Eddie Silva, January, pg. 33
New Art Examiner · by Debra Parr, December · January, pg. 44
St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Mysterious Territory · by Robert W. Duffy, September
The Riverfront Times: Terra Incognito · by Eddie Silva, September 25, pg. 43
Exhibition Catalog and Brochures
Bienal Internacional de Curitiba - Luz do Mundo (Curitiba International Biennial - World Light) exhibition catalog from the Curitiba International Biennial in Curitiba, Brazil.
Culture Colony Quarterly (CCQ) magazine has published an interview with me in CCQ Issue #5, January 2015 entitled, An Intellectual Ball of Twine – Alison Crocetta Talks Poppies, Performance and Film, Cardiff, Wales.
Hephaestos Challenged: 7 Women Sculptors · The Galleries at Cleveland State University · Cleveland, OH · catalog essay by curator Robert Thurmer.
united states: Artist’s Projects, The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum · Ridgefield, CT · Brochure Essays by Exhibitions Director, Richard Klein and Rachel Teagle, PhD
Hanji Project / New York: Hanji Metamorphoses · New York, NY · Catalog Essay by Independent Curator, Yu Yeon Kim
Moving Images · Weston Art Gallery · Cincinnati, OH · Brochure Essay by Nell Andrew, Ph.D.
Inside / Out: Sculpture At Evergreen · The Evergreen House and Estate · Baltimore, MD, Catalog Essay by Julie Courtney
AIM 23 · The Bronx Museum of the Arts, Bronx, NY · Catalog Essay by Lydia Yee, Senior Curator and Amy Rosenblum Martin, Curatorial Associate
Beginning a New Century: Emerging Artists in Western New York · Burchfield-Penney Art Center, Buffalo, NY · Catalog Essay by Sarah Kellner, former Executive Director, DiverseWorks, Houston, Texas
St. Louis: The City Series · Cedar Rapids Museum of Art, Cedar Rapids, Iowa · Catalog Essay by Donald B. Doe, Ph.D. and Leslie Wright, Ph.D.
Selected Artist Talks
Curitiba International Biennial · Artist Talk and Panel Discussion · Curitiba, BR
Outcasting: Fourth Wall Film Festival · Cardiff, UK
Miami University · Deparment of Art · Oxford, OH
The College of Wooster · Deparment of Art · Wooster, OH
University of Idaho · Deparment of Art and Design · Moscow, ID
Lamar Dodd School of Art, invited lecture with support from the Willson Center for the Humanities & Arts at the University of Georgia · Athens, GA
Columbus Museum of Art, in conjunction with the Art of Concern symposium entitled High Anxiety · Columbus, OH
Princeton University, Woolworth Center of Musical Studies · Princeton, NJ
Harvestworks · Soho, NY
Montserrat College of Art · Beverly, MA
Kalamazoo College · Kalamazoo, MI
Princeton University, Woolworth Center of Musical Studies · Princeton, NJ
Harvard University, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study · Boston, MA
Colgate University · Hamilton, NY
Presented Papers / Conference Participation / Panel Discussions
Performative Ethnography & Site Specificity · Rapid Pulse International Performance Art Festival · Chicago, IL · panel discussion moderated by Ramón H. Rivera-Servera.
The Agora Collective · Berlin, Germany · Round Table Discussion about the intersection between dance / choreography and performance art in conjunction with Month of Performance Art Berlin.
ATOA (Artists Talk On Art) · NY, NY, Panel Discussion on the topic of “Ritual”, moderated by Rie Hachiyanagi
EMPAC · Troy, NY, Project Introduction and Panel Discussion for the premier of A Circus of One and the DanceMovies film commissions, moderated by Helene Lesterlin
From Stillness to Action to Moving Image as part of the Sculpture and the Televisual panel · SECAC & MACAA Joint Conference entitled, Curiouser: Where Cerebellum Meets Antibellum hosted by Virginia Commonwealth University · Richmond, VA, October.
Talking About Text and Image, Roundtable at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study · Harvard University · Cambridge, MA · With Yvonne Rainer, Visiting Lecturer on Visual and Environmental Studies and Bunting Fellows: art historian Martha Buskirk, filmmaker Charlene Gilbert, and visual artists Alison Crocetta and Ann Messner.
2012 - Present
Associate Professor in Sculpture Area and Director of Foundations Studies (2005 - 2015) · Department of Art · The Ohio State University · Columbus, Ohio
2005 - 2011
Assistant Professor in Sculpture Area and Director of Foundations Studies · Department of Art · The Ohio State University · Columbus, Ohio
Artist-in-Residence (Installation / Performance) · Fine Arts Department · Ringling School of Art and Design · Sarasota, Florida
2001 - 2003
Associate Chair · Foundation Department · Parsons The New School for Design · New York, NY
2001 - 2001
Bunting Fellow · The Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University · Boston, MA
1998 - 2001
Assistant Professor · Foundation Division · NYSCC at Alfred University · Alfred, NY
1997 - 1998
Education Director · COCA (The Center of Contemporary Arts) · St. Louis, MO
1994 - 1997
Visiting Artist / Lecturer · Sculpture Department · School of Art · Washington University St. Louis, MO
Freshman Foundation Faculty · Sculpture Techniques · Tyler School of Art · Temple University Philadelphia, PA